The Society is a group of some 100 members, interested in the history of Woolwich, the surrounding area and other historical and conservation matters. It was founded in 1895 by the local historian William Thomas Vincent. W T Vincent was also the editor of the newspaper The Kentish Independent and wrote 'The Records of the Woolwich District', which became the definitive history of the area.
Membership is open to everyone who is in sympathy with our aims. These aims are set out in the Rules as:-
'To study and as far as possible examine and record, matters of historic and prehistoric interest, giving first attention to matters of local importance within a convenient distance of the former London Borough of Woolwich'.
'To help preserve all buildings and landmarks of historical and antiquarian interest and the amenities and natural beauties of the district'.